Friday, February 28, 2014

Exploring the N.C. State Conservatory

Just a quick note, the J.C. Raulston Arboretum launched their new website at the beginning of the month. Please check it out! Especially the new collections search!

Check out the end of the posts for notes from the author from now on!




Useful Links for More Information

Cornus officinalis 'Spring Glow'
Carnivorous Plants: California Carnivores is a great mail-order nursery in California; the International Carnivorous Plant Society is a great place to get information about carnivores and connect with like-minded folks; Carnivorous Plant Database
Pinguicula: Wikipedia, Botanical Society of America, ICPSspecies listP. primuliflora
Nepenthes: Encyclopedia of Life, ICPS, making news in UK (video)
Drosera: Leaf "eating" a Dipteran (video)
Haworthia: Haworthia Society, H. truncata, check out its cool familyXanthorrhoeaceae
Pseudobombax: The Plant List, P. ellipticum (on tag)
Tillandsia, good ol' air plant: The Plant List, species and cultivar list
Phalaenopsis: American Orchid Society, best species list!International Phalaenopsis Alliance
Begonia: rhizomatous types, Rex Cultorum typesAmerican Begonia Society "Virtual Greenhouse" (really great website)
Vanda: American Orchid Society
Schomburgkia: Wikipedia, The Plant List, Myrmecophila
Phaius tancarvilleae


Notes from the Author

Firstly, I am trying a new layout, given what I know about the typical blog reader! The photos, which is the part I really want folks to enjoy, are at the top; then useful links related to things in the photo slideshow; and lastly, my anecdotes possibly not covered in the photo captions. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!

I had the great privilege to go to N.C. State University in the horticultural science program. As part of that experience, I had access to an amazing diversity of plants at the Conservatory in Marye Anne Fox Labs.

I remember my friend Mason taking me down there within the first two weeks of class to see the carnivorous plants, a favorite of his, and then to show me the orchids, my favorite. The greenhouses were so magical and new at the time. There was so much to see that you could look for hours.

I still feel that same amazement when I walk through the houses, even though I've visited them so many times. There is always something new in the collection, always something different in bloom. I've become good friends with most of the people who work down in the greenhouses, especially Diane. She's always been so kind and knowledgeable.

This particular trip was special in a different way though. I am an alumna, no longer a student, and it took on a different feel. My trips are numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment