Sunday, May 18, 2014

Daytrip (off-island!) to Sakonnet Garden

A couple weeks ago I was surprised with an invitation from Nancy to go to a little garden in Rhode Island. It was an instantaneous 'yes!' and when the time came, I was both excited and slightly uneasy about going back to the mainland! (So many cars and roads with more than two lanes, what was I going to do with myself?)


The morning of the was grey and the air was saturated with the promise of rain; but the four of us (me, Nancy, Margaret and Susan) boarded the ferry bound for Woods Hole without hesitation because of the promise of a beautiful garden and adventures to be had.

After a quick stop to a local bakery, we drove up and around Buzzards Bay and back down into Rhode Island. The small towns we drove through were still sleepy in the slow morning, but it was obvious we were near Sakonnet Garden as we approached. Cars lined up along each side of the road, making it difficult for traffic to move on the normally empty street.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Garden Conservancy Open Garden Days sign hen we got there, but very happy to be supporting such a wonderful program. That explained the traffic.


Anyway after snaking our way through the wares of the plant sale area, we walked through the sempervivum-topped wall into the garden and the traffic was justified.

As soon as I stepped past the cat on the garden gate I knew I was in a whole new world unto itself, and as I peered through the undersized door cut into the towering boxwood hedge, I found it to be Wonderland. When you thought you'd found the end or got your bearings, a new room appeared through the hedge.

The garden was an incredible, unexpected wonder of Rhododendrons, Tulips and other oddities. Garden rooms created intimate, unique spaces that allowed the visitor to sample different plants, textures and colors without being overwhelmed (well, not too overwhelmed!). There were some familiar faces and some new ones. Some I'd never thought to be used the way John and Mikel demonstrated in the secret garden they'd created in the middle of the rolling hills around them.

If that wasn't enough, we took a slight detour on the way home to check out the legendary Avant Gardens, and met the wonderful folks who make it work (and got some cools plants, of course!).

~~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment