Monday, December 1, 2014

Adventures in the Polly Mobile 2: Going back to college

You can never "go back" to college once you've been to the real world. It is merely an illusion.

But today I felt a slight reversion taking place. After Tessa's mom's generosity of letting me stay at her house and with me off to visit Tessa at URI, I felt like I was back in the insulated world of college life.


https://plus.google.com/photos/111347412005630173979/albums/6088415620641319649?authkey=CLfikKG05qm-NA
The Carey Mansion on Ruggles Road, next to the entrance to the Cliff Walk. Jeez.
 
(Click above for photos.)

Tessa's mom was kind enough to give me another tour of Aquidneck Island from her own perspective and show me the sights she loved the most. I got to see the sea-side cottage Tessa had talked about all summer, get more of the natural and cultural history of the area and hang out with a cool lady all morning.

In the afternoon I was off across the terrible roads of Rhode Island (seriously, watch your tires!) and the Jamestown and Newport Bridges, complete with toll, to crash Tessa's afternoon grounds maintenance class, which was planting trees on campus! I got my parking permit and left my car to take to campus on foot. I blended in with the students because of my age, but I got tons of weird looks because, I would find out later, making eye contact and smiling just isn't done up here. I found Tessa easy enough though and we were off to meet with her class.

After class Tessa and I made some loose plans about what we would do that evening. Taking my stuff up to her dorm room (because I was sleeping on her floor!), eating at the dining hall and hanging out in the library were all on the docket. How much more "college" can that be? Despite how typical the evening plans were for a college student, the experience made me feel the distance between what my time in college was like and where I was now. Oh, how so much has already changed.

We had a great time though! After the tasty dinner (goodness, does URI have a cool dining facility at Hope), Tessa and I made our way to the library because I just had to check it out. We explored the many different collections (they still have newspaper negative readers) and floors, and made some cool discoveries. Of course we hung out in the plant and ecology sections of the stacks and found some fascinating books. It reminded me of how much I love libraries and how much I wished I'd had more time to hang out at D.H. Hill at N.C. State!

The front-page fold out woodblock print of "The Araucaria Avenue at Bicton" from The Manual of Coniferae (1881) by James Veitch and Sons, of the Abies veitchii fame.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment