Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Adventures in the Polly Mobile 2: Traveling to Granbania

The weather may not have been totally inspiring during my trip to South Kingston, RI, but I had a great time catching up and hanging out with Tessa. She is such an awesome horticulturist and cool to hang out with because she's down for anything just for the sake of adventure.

But the fun has to end and we said our goodbyes at the URI Horticulture Club's plant sale. She headed for an exam and I took off for the next exotic locale of Granby, MA.

A Google Map of my winding way from the University of Rhode Island and Granby, MA
It wasn't a horticulturally-inspiring treck, except for the increasing height of the trees on the side of the road and the changing diversity as I tried to ID plants at 45 miles per hour.

I chose to avoid the highways of Rhode Island and Massachusetts because what little driving I've done on mainland New England has helped me form a strong aversion to the chaotic driving style. As a friend of mine told me, you have to have a certain insanity about you and that "using your turn signal is giving information to the enemy." Not my kind of driving conditions.

I pulled into Tom Clark's home's driveway just before night fell in the mountain town. I could only make out the glowing frame of the absolutely adorable house in the dim light and the faint silhouette of a stand of towering Pinus strobus, white pine, beside it. The anticipation of seeing them in the morning reminded me of how it felt the night before Christmas morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment