Thursday, December 11, 2014

Adventures in the Polly Mobile 2: Volunteering at the Smithsonian Gardens' Greenhouse

Bulbophyllum unitubum, Orchidaceae
I had an amazing time at the APGA Plant Collections Symposium in November (I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but anyway...), during which I was able to meet the wonderful people who work with the Smithsonian's orchid collections, Sarah Hadean and Tom Mirenda. They were kind enough to allow me to come out and volunteer with them as I was passing through D.C. and I was more than willing to do so!

I'm such a geek. I was so excited to be repotting orchids (pictured in the background) that I took a picture of the cart. Oh well.
I got up early to beat the insane Washington, D.C. traffic and was rewarded with a beautiful, golden morning. Everyone was so welcoming at the greenhouses and Tom was generous with his time and information. It was great to be there again, despite how brief the work was. It turns out the volunteer training for the upcoming orchid exhibition was today, so I ended up spending the afternoon doing that. It was worth it to see the volunteers and how the staff ran their training. It was also great to hear Tom present about orchids (check out the Embreea collaboration between the Digitization Team and the Orchids Team). He was very informative and entertaining, and reminded me so much of the passionate plant people I dearly miss in Raleigh.

(See the photo slideshow above for more details about the trip!)

Bulbophyllum medusae, Orchidaceae

No comments:

Post a Comment