Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Finding Sparks of Hope in the Monotony, or: Finishing One Site of the Invasive Species Survey

In light of my meeting with N.C. State's Landscape and Construction Services today to talk about the invasive species workday and project, I headed out to finish the survey I'd started before the winter weather hit. I knew what I was in for, given what I'd seen during my first visit, but thankfully the weather was smiling down on me and alleviated some of what I was surely going to see.

The final verdict was grim, with an estimated 80-90 percent of the area covered in invasive species, but it was a successful qualitative survey nonetheless. The meeting with the LCS went well too, and things are off to a great start.

Final invasive species list includes:

Ligustrum sinense, Chinese privet
Ligustrum japonicum, Japanese privet
Lonicera japonica, Japanese honeysuckle
Pyrus calleryana, Callery Pear
Elaeagnus pungens, Russian-olive
Elaeagnus angustifolia, Silverthorn
Microstegium viminieum, Japanese stiltgrass
Hedera helix, English ivy
Ilex cornuta, Chinese holly
Melia azedarach, Chinaberry

No comments:

Post a Comment